I feel like I am starting over. It is a good feeling.
The place and things that have consumed most of my waking hours is no longer my concern. As a driven, high achiever who has never been without work it is an odd feeling. Awaking in the morning to a phone without voice mails, emails or tasks that require my urgent attention leaves one feeling frankly, a bit lost and insignificant.
I have spent a few weeks catching my breath which I highly recommend and am now starting to turn my attention on What Do I Do Now…
I decided I would approach starting again like running a business. Strategy and execution.
I have thought through a strategy I am following. For others who may be going through or about to go through what I am, I thought it was worth sharing and getting comments and feedback on. While each process step below could be its own post I summarize my process as follows:
- what have I learned from my experiences
- what mistakes did I make and why did I make them
- what were some of my best decisions and what were the circumstances
- were they risky decisions?
- did I have lots of supporting data or little?
- who did I surround myself with
- what did I learn about people, motivating, leading, hiring, firing
- what new ideas do I have
- are they worth pursuing myself? startup?
- What excites me?
- What do I have no interest in?
- What am I really damn good at?
- What do I suck at?
- Where can I have the most positive influence and outcome?
- Really build a picture of the type of company , the situation, the industry, the size you think makes sense for you…as many details as you can
- where am I likely to find opportunities that match what ME
- how do I get to them
- My past Board members
- Professional and Personal Friends
- Other CEO’s who are searching…network
- Recruiters *who really know the space*
- GET OUT OF THE HOUSE
- Go where they are…conferences, events, etc
- Set up meetings, grab coffee, buy them lunch, drinks, etc
- Do noticeable stuff that they give a crap about…blog, write a paper, speak at a conference, etc
- how do they find me
- if you have been successful in past endeavours…they will find you through one of the ways outlined above that you are trying to find them
- in some cases same as above
- Blog, twitter, social
- I CANNOT take a job to have a job…and fortunately I don’t need to
- FIT FIT FIT
- It has to fit the criteria I determined above and be a fit on a personal level with the people I will be working with and for or it just won’t work. I will hate it and they will end up hating me and I will crush my credibility for the next time
- plan my work and work my plan
- be focussed and be disciplined
- adapt strategy as additional insight and knowledge is gained about myself and about the industries and companies I can help
Like in business I have had success because I am a huge believer that success in NOT in the blinding brilliance of your strategy but in its EXECUTION. I have a strategy, am building the plan and will begin executing now.
Would love thoughts and experiences from others!